Saturday, December 16, 2017

Back in Season - Making Ornaments

While I was waiting for the granddaughters to wake up this morning I made some quilt blocks with Halloween fabrics.     After they woke up and had breakfast we  they started making ornaments.  This year they made angels. 

Now I'm back with the right season! 

I started making ornaments with my own kids when they were about two.  I started the same tradition with the grandkids when they were about two.  My grandson Jacob had something else going on so didn't come out to make ornies this year. (He likes to stay home with his dad who has leukemia). 

Kayla, who just turned 13 last week,  made her first angel holding a vase of roses. She then decided she needed to try to make an angel with hair.  I had my doubts about angel hair but told her to go ahead and do what she felt like doing. It turned out so cute. 

 Isabelle, who turned 13 on Halloween,  made her first version holding a teddy bear. She then tried hair too, and a skinny skirt, and posing with one arm on her head. 

And then they had other things to do that didn't involve grandma. 

Scrabble challenge later!

'Tis the Wrong Season But I'm Still Feeling Jolly

I'm trying to clear up little stashes of fabrics here and there in the sewing room.  I have a small amount of Halloween fabrics left over from making Halloween quilts, trick or treat bags and pillowcases for the grandkids and my daughter.  

  I decided to make some quick and easy St. Louis 16 patches that finish at 12 inches.   Just a few more and I'll have a quilt top. 

And that's how some 3.5 inch scraps get into the 3.5 inch scrap box. 

Friday, December 15, 2017

More Boho Roosters Join the Flock

Boho Roosters is actually the Sunburst quilt pattern in Making Quilts by Kathy Doughty. 

Backgrounds have not been added to these circles yet. I just pin a piece of audition fabric to the wall and pin the circles to it in order to take pics. 

I'm fussy cutting the rooster centers from Bohemian Rooster Click fabric by Susan Winget.  I don't have them all cut out yet so I'm hoping I have enough roosters for 16 blocks. 

I now have 7 blocks and need 16. 

And I'm still having fun with these. 

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Flimsy Glitter

66.5 x 73

It's a flimsy!

 Instructions for this quilt can be found in the book Quilt Lovely by Jen Kingwell

This was a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project I started in January 2017.  I made a few blocks each month from 3.5 inch scraps in the RSC color of the month. The points and corresponding pieces were in the color of the month then I used other colors of scraps for the background and four squares. 

I sewed the 152 blocks together randomly. 

I need to find and probably piece a backing and then it will be hand quilted. 

I'm glad to say that getting this to flimsy stage was my December OMG (One Monthly Goal) and my goal has been met! I'll link up later in the month at Elm Street Quilts. 

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Some Assembly Required

Some assembly required... that I've finished making the 27 Friendship Stars of homespuns and muslin I needed to add to the pile of 38 swapped stars.    But maybe I should iron these first. 

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

I Found Another Vintage Quilt I Like So Decided To Make One Like It

I have hundreds of three inch nine patches.  I decided to make a nine patch zigzag like a vintage one I saw.     So far I've made these four columns. They are too long to show you the whole piece which is queen-sized so here's a snippet.  This is easier to make than I thought so I'm hoping to have a quilt top in no time especially if I add a column a day. 

Monday, December 11, 2017

It's a Flimsy: Star Chain

Star Chain
56 x 70

Star Chain was the March 2014 Block Lotto block of the month.  I won most of these. I guess the pile was waiting for me to make a couple more blocks.  Unfortunately two ladies, mother and daughter,  didn't send me blocks like they were supposed to.  That has been the only time I've ever known in all my years with Block Lotto that ladies did not follow through and send blocks.  Some folks are just like that, I guess.   But I can't look a gift horse in the mouth. The blocks I did receive are lovely - even the one that had part of the chain going in the wrong direction.  It was an easy fix.